Friday, March 17, 2006

Reality check

Last weekend I met a woman with twins. We talked and with almost anything we said the other replied with 'ME TOO!' We're even born only two days apart. Her twins (a boy and a girl) are 5 months old, conceived with IVF, born with a C-section. Big difference: she struggled with her infertility for 13 years, for me it was just one year. She said: Not having children simply wasn't an option. All these years she knew one day she'd have them. And she did!

Yesterday I went over to her place to see her and the twins at home. Her house was so clean and tidy! Just amazing! The twins were very sweet. I gave her boy a bottle and he felt so warm and relaxed and happy. We talked about all sorts of things. Infertility, IVF, pregnanacy, birth, antenatal class, babies.

The babes were quite hypnotic. I must have been there for hours. I was wondering if she is lonely, sitting at home with the babies with her man out for work. Babies 24/7 for always and ever. Day and night. A strange mix of feelings came over me in the car on the way back. How will my life be, how will I be, how will we be once the babies have arrived? These are the last weeks of me being my old me. Life the way it was will never come back.

Change can be scary. The unknown can be scary. I have little moments I am truly scared now I am preparing for the reality in stead of just living in a dream.

1 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Mony said...

Wow! You certainly have been surrounded by twins lately!
A great little sneak peek for you with the 5 month olds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home