Monday, March 13, 2006

Antenatal crash course

Yesterday I went to my first antenatal class. In my class three other women. One very pale and tired looking lady expecting triplets (all boys) of 28 weeks. Two women pregnant with both girl twins around 30 weeks. Naturally they were all so much bigger than me! And they were sighing and rubbing their bellies. Two husbands were present. They didn't say anything, the whole class.

Looking at the women I almost didn't feel pregnant at all. The 6 weeks difference is a huge difference...

The theme of the day was premature babies. Hardly relevant anymore fore the two 30+ week girls, but you never know. For the first time I felt worries. My image of having the babies might be too rosecoloured. I bought them two little hammocks last weekend, expecting that everything will be fine. That I'll wrap them in my mums quilts and walk out of the hospital a day after the delivery...

Apart from the bleak realisation that things could actually go majorly wrong, that I and/ or my babies might end up in hospital for quite a while and that we all could suffer from all kind of pains and disorders or even die, class was slightly boring. I'm really not an expert, and I've only read one or two books and browsed the web a bit, but I haven't heard much new stuff in this class so far.

Another class tonight. The 6 lessons are jammed in 3 weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home