Saturday, October 01, 2005

Stim day 3

Yesterday our friend M called, at 5 AM, that her man E was in hospital with a pneumonia and that he was very likely going to die. E is only 42 and has a very fast developing form of MS.

When we got to know them about 4 months ago he was in a wheelchair but could still move both his hands. Now he can only move his head, and he even has problems speaking. When he was brought in to the hospital in the middle of the night he could hardly breathe and he told that he didn't want to be treated. Not even antibiotics. Just some air and morphine. A brave thing to do.

When the four of us became friends something changed me. Looking at E made my problems and suffering feel insignificant. Meeting M and E helped me to overcome my grief and depression caused by infertility. And M is just a lot of fun to hang out and do horsey & doggie things with.

So at 6 in the morning I was in the hospital, trying to be there for M while we were looking at poor E with his rasping breath and his oxygen mask. Once they had him stabilised E got a room on the top floor of the hospital, with a great view over the city and harbour. A lot of friends were visiting. It was almost like a little party and it lasted till late at night when the nurses kicked us out.

This morning M called. E wasn't going to die. He was pulling through. That is amazing. I am wondering if E will be really happy with this. I don't think I would if I couldn't move anymore with not much to look forward to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home