Monday, August 22, 2005

Blood bond - day 2

Our IVF adventures start here. On day 2 of my cycle. Sunday afternoon R and I went to the hospital to get some blood tests done. For him HIV and for me HIV and hormones. I just had a weird thought. Imagine the unthinkable happened and the bloodtests came back positive.... Well, that would definitely change the theme of the blog....

I am looking forward to the whole IVF thing now. The people I have to deal with are friendly and nice. R is very supportive and I feel pretty good myself. There is a change I'll be pregnant end of October. I feel some kind of shivers run over my back when I think about that!

This weekend I read the article in the Herald 'What price pregnancy?'. The article was suggesting that the commercial fertility businesses ease women's minds to have children late in life with the idea ART will get them pregnant if it doesn't work the natural way. Something in the tone of voice of that article that irritated me. As if women wait till they're 37+ on purpose because they honestly believe that doctors will guarantee they'll have a baby at 39.

I have never met a woman, not in the 'real' world or online, that said 'I thought having children could wait because of the new technology'. I do know women, like me, that needed a lot of time to finally find somebody they wanted kids with. Or they are still looking and thinking about freezing their eggs. I wasn't sure I'd make it in time. Now I feel blessed I have found my man, just in time, and that technology might be advanced enough to get me pregnant. I would have needed the same help 13 years ago, when my tubes got damaged. But thankfully IVF has now much better results compared to when I was 24.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home