Sunday, August 14, 2005

Laparoscopy (May 2005)

Two weeks after my second ectopic pregnancy ended by itself I had my first appointment with my gynaecologist. She was absolutely lovely and decided after a very quick first meeting she wanted to have a closer look at my tubes. I was booked in for a laparoscopy two weeks later. And even my insurance company decided to cooperate!!

How smooth and nice and quick is that!

The hospital was like a 5*hotel. It looked great with designer furniture and everybody was so sweet and nice. (What a difference between public and private healthcare!) The gyn held my hand and I made jokes while the anaesthesia started to work. All fun and games, but an hour later I woke up from the anaesthetic, crying, not knowing if I still had my tubes or not. Still everybody was very very sweet.

The gyn came in saying that what she found was not too good, but that she was very happy she had done the operation. My tubes were damaged, one of my ovaries entangled in adhesions and the fimbria were clubbed. She had removed the adhesions and made new openings in my tubes at the fimbrial ends. She was amazed that I got pregnant twice. She had tested my tubes with dye and initially nothing came through. At the end of the surgery the dye came through ok.

After the surgery three things could happen:
1) I would get pregnant (very small chance)
2) I would get another ectopic (bit more chance)
3) Nothing would happen (fairly big chance)

However chances would be much better with ivf. My gyn is very optimistic about ivf. She said that our eggs and sperm had proven to be a good match with our two technically impossible ectopics.

It might sound strange, but now I look back I am grateful for my two ectopic pregnancies. They have caused me a lot of pain and sadness, but also given a lot of information. A year ago I didn't even know I had problems with fertility. Now, not even a year later I am preparing for my first ivf. If it wasn't for the ectopics by now I might have had my first fertility examinations. And people might still be saying: Just relax and it will happen... (Every infertile agrees that that is the worst anyone can say - even if it's your mother)

I remember the laparoscopy as a very positive thing. After 4 hours I was home again. I didn't have a lot of pain either. A bit of discomfort from the gas in my belly they use to make a bit of space. Three tiny 5mm scars and an unnoticeable change in my bellybotton are the only reminders.

And you know what caused all this? An IUD. Placed by a gynaecologist 13 years ago. Who 'forgot' to make a swab before placing it. How sick is that? I should look into it to see if I can lodge a complain against that butcher!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home