Wednesday, October 11, 2006

From 2 cells to 6 and 7 kg

Today it's a year ago Charlie and Lola were two two cell embryos somewhere in a petri dish in a lab. And look at them now: beautiful kids, 6 and 7 kilos, smiling, grabbing, and turning from their bellies on their backs. I still feel blessed, although pretty tired and worn out at some days.

After my entry about the three months growth spurt I was expecting things to get better. They did a little for a short while, and then the babies started to cry even more. They don't want to sleep in the day, at least, not in their beds. They sometimes have a little powernap in a bouncychair, in the buggy or in the car. And they cry a lot. The only thing that seems to work is to carry them and walk around, but that's so hard when you have two babies! Sometimes I'd just leave them for a while. That would feel awful because I believe they don't scream for no reason.

I talked about the crying before at checkups. But the response was 'They'll grow over it', 'Babies just cry', 'Look at your own diet', 'It's a growth spurt' and 'Do you think you have enough milk?'. I think because the babies grow so well and look very healthy nobody took me very serious so far. At yesterdays checkup I talked about it again. The babies gave a perfect example of their normal behaviour: They smiled for 5 minutes and then started to spill a little and then scream. The nurse was very nice and took the time to listen to me and take me serious.

Her conclusion: Reflux, but even more so silent reflux. Lola seems to swallow most of it, Charlie is always wearing wet shirts or bibs from his continous spilling. The babes must be in a lot of pain and when they lie down it feels really bad. Poor babes! Overtired and in pain, surely that will make you scream!

Today the babies have had some gaviscon to neutralise the acid. Only on half a dose you can feel their little wriggely bodies relax. So everytime the babies show signs of tiredness I can put them in their beds to sleep. Up till now it works great and they want to sleep every one and a half or two hours. It's great I've got time to sit behind my computer, and it's so quiet! I hope this will work, because I was getting pretty down not being able to comfort my kids.

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

My 3 month old has reflux and we were having the same problems. She cried alot and would not sleep well. We bought a wedge for her crib and that seems to help. She is on prevacid and its working well. It will get better hang in there!

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

I'm so glad you've found what appears to be a solution. I can't imagine what they (and you!) have been going through. Wishing you best of luck.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Have finally caught up with your posts Heleen sounds like you are handling it all beautifully. Those pics of your dear little babes are gorgeous. Hope the tummies (and crying) settles soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home